- 4 slices of bacon, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 roasted jalapeno peppers, diced plus 1 whole for slices on top
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 bottle of ale (I used Fat Tire)
- 2 cups chicken broth ( Homemade Crock Pot Chicken Broth)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded - I used white cheddar and mixed shredded cheeses.
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper
Cook the bacon in a pan over medium heat and set aside on paper towels to drain, reserving the grease in the pan.
Roast the jalapenos over an open flame, when completely blackened, place in zip-lock bag to steam a few minutes, then when cool enough to touch remove the skins.
Add the onion, celery and jalapeno and cook until tender, about 10 minutes.
Add the garlic and thyme and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
Add the butter and let it melt, then sprinkle on the flour and let it cook until it starts to turn golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
Add the ale and broth and deglaze the pan and then let cook for 10 minutes.
Add the cream, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and cheese and cook until the cheese has melted without bringing it back to a boil.
Season with cayenne, salt and pepper and add in half of the bacon pieces to the soup.